Tour of Northland 2014 Cycle Challenge takes on some of Northland’s most beautiful scenery as well as providing one heck of a challenge.
Hopefully the next few posts will inspire you to find your challenge
Day 1 – 92.2km Whangarei to Dargaville via Tangowahine Valley (the fast day)
364 riders from all over parts of New Zealand and some even further afield set off from Whangarei just after 10am. First you have a 4km warm up to a road at the back of Kamo, that includes a nice sharp hill to get the lungs and legs going. Once out of the transition stage you are off onto country roads past Kokopu School until eventually you enter the Tangowahine Valley. A beautiful forestry road that has it’s share of inclines and declines. Finally you appear on the highway between Mangatepere and Dargaville about 13km out from Dargaville, which is your stop for Day 1. This day is fooling, it is fast and has lots of small inclines, but definitely the easier of the four days.
However being my second year here I know that there is still plenty more to come, especially tomorrow which is the day of the big climbs.
So after some much needed food, a cold swim to help revive the muscles, hydration and stretches we focussed on getting some good rest.
You Might Also Enjoy Reading
- Tough Mudder 2014 - May 4th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 4 - The Final Countdown - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 3 - 88kms - The Easy Day (who was I kidding) - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 2 - 84kms - The Big Hill Day - March 24th, 2014
- Oxfam Fundraiser - Sunday 9th March 2014 - March 4th, 2014