Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge – Day 3 – 88kms – The Easy Day (who was I kidding)
Day 3 takes us from Opononi on the West Coast to Paihia on the East Coast via Kaikohe. In simple terms it is a gradual uphill climb for the first 50km into Kaikohe and then a gradual downhill into Paihia with some hills in between.
But between the headwind and several patches of road works this day became by far my hardest day.
I don’t particularly like down hills at the best of times, but todays patches of shingle and stone left riders going all over the road (not all but enough to put me off riding in the bunch).
Now my husband Gav had a great fast ride with his bunch, so maybe it was just who I was riding with but after a couple of close calls I decided to let the bunch go and battle out the last 25km by myself.
Yes, I did make it to the finish line but 20 min slower than last year. Sometimes you just have to decide “is it worth coming off your bike for?”
But after a nice, not so cold east coast swim I reflected on the days ride and thought it is always better to finish the ride upright than not at all!
Hopefully tomorrow will be a smoother ride.
You Might Also Enjoy Reading
- Tough Mudder 2014 - May 4th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 4 - The Final Countdown - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 2 - 84kms - The Big Hill Day - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 1 - 92.2kms - March 24th, 2014
- Oxfam Fundraiser - Sunday 9th March 2014 - March 4th, 2014