Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge – Day 4 – The Final Countdown
Day 4 – 89.5kms to go!!!!!! Wahoo!!!!
I can’t believe we are onto day 4 already….don’t get me wrong my butt is ready to be off the saddle!
The last day rides from Russell to Whangarei via Helena Bay, so there was still plenty of challenges ahead including the Helena Bay hill, which is a 4km hill climb at the 55km mark.
I unfortunately witnessed and assisted at a crash on this leg of the race last year, so I was particularly worried about the steep sections of this ride. (Helping a man after he has just put his bike into three pieces and almost killed himself can do that to a girl!)
Lucky for me I managed to join an amazing bunch right from the start line, which continued throughout all the ups and downs (and there were heaps of them) right to the finish line.
Plus the weather this year (apart form the headwind) was on our side, so we had nice dry conditions for almost all of the ride, making the ride a lot safer.
This day is again absolutely stunning as you follow the east coastline as it wraps its way around the hillside. I even managed to look up occasionally to admire the view!
The best part definitely had to be coming across the finish line to see my wonderful family waiting and to know that I had once again achieved the epic 340km challenge.
You Might Also Enjoy Reading
- Tough Mudder 2014 - May 4th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 3 - 88kms - The Easy Day (who was I kidding) - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 2 - 84kms - The Big Hill Day - March 24th, 2014
- Tour of Northland Cycle Challenge - Day 1 - 92.2kms - March 24th, 2014
- Oxfam Fundraiser - Sunday 9th March 2014 - March 4th, 2014